Saturday, June 23, 2012

8 Miles is a lot harder than it looks............

Today was LRD....Long Run Day. 8 miles according to my half-marathon training schedule. Did the first 4.31 with my running buddy. We made a big loop to get in the distance...and the route wasn't bad. Some of the hills were rough. Dogs made themselves scarce, but I carried a big stick just in case. The heat today was the worst thing. Felt like I was running with a blanket wrapped around my shoulders. My friend had somewhere to be so she didn't want to try to run another loop, and I had to go to the bathroom. I haven't quite gotten comfortable enough to get behind a tree, so I drove home and used the facilities there. I took a few sips of cold water--that is a recipe for vomit. When it hit my stomach I could feel the naseau coming, and that ringing sound in my ears. Not good. I took a few sips of Gatorade, and that took care of my problem thankfully. I didn't know how I would continue running while carrying a bucket.  Then I hit the road again for the last 4.05 miles. Whew! The temperature was even hotter. And that little hateful dog at the end of the road started with me again. I was ready for it--had me a big stick and used my mean voice. It finally went back home. I couldn't use my intervals for running/walking because my app works about half the time, so I just ran when I felt like it and when I needed a break I stopped and walked, and then started again. I think I like this better than anticipating when that lady in my phone is going to say "Next interval...." I may just trash the app and go back to my regular iPod and Timex Ironman watch, especially if I know how long the route is. Most of my run was in full sun, so thankfully I remembered my visor. It also serves as a sweat band. I was so tempted to sit down on the side of the road in the shade and call Steven or the boys to get me on the golf cart, but I didn't. I persevered and finished that 8 miles. I chanted "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me" over and over and over, especially the last mile. My total time--1 hour 47 minutes for 8 miles. I was also killing two birds with one stone by completing a Virtual 10K!  Not to shabby considering I really slowed my pace down. My average was 13.4 minutes/mile. When I made it to the porch after cooling down, I sat in a rocking chair under a ceiling fan. I drank 2 bottles of Gatorade...one of G2 and one regular diluted with water. I felt sloshy. I stretched, going through my routine like I always do...except I did it under the ceiling fan in my bedroom. I was STARVING! Next time I have to eat a little something before my long run besides Gatorade Energy gels. I tolerate them a lot better than the GU Gel...that stuff leaves an aftertaste like no other. And feels like a brick sitting in the bottom of my stomach. I ate grits for breakfast because that's really all I had.....and now I could eat a giant steak dinner complete w/ baked potato, salad and about 6 yeast rolls. Plus some sweet tea. And dessert. But, I won't! I'll try greek yogurt with an apple and see if that settles my stomach a little bit.  My legs are still jello-y but I've got to get up and move so I don't get "stove-up" as our Nanny used to call it! Next long run day I will either be on a treadmill in air conditioning or I will start earlier so the heat doesn't zap me. Now I am having a bad cough....feels like bronchitis coming on. Gotta get more Mucinex. My shower is calling....

1 comment:

  1. I have a timex watch too, but have had issues with it.. do you have software to be able to download your info on the computer? And, great post btw! Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete