Saturday, July 7, 2012

Run for Aimee Copeland 5K

On June 30, 2012, I ran in the Run for Aimee Copeland 5K. Many of you know that Aimee continues to make national news as she battles to survive necrotizing fasciitis as a result of a zip-line accident.I am not going to go into much detail about her accident and her health....please visit this link to read more:

http://aimeecopeland.com/

Her father writes a blog for the site, and you can get first hand information from him. Her story is very inspirational and she is a strong, remarkable woman! I know you will enjoy learning more about her!

When I first signed up for the race, only 90 people had registered. The organizers were hoping for 500, so they sent out emails to encourage everyone to participate.  There is also a Facebook page where you can learn more about the race:

https://www.facebook.com/RunForAimee5k


 It wasn't long before I received another email saying the run was FULL! 500 people registered to run the 5K! I was thrilled, because I knew the more people that were there would mean more money raised to help with prosthetic costs for Aimee and a portion of the money raised was going to benefit Life Skills for Women.Please visit their site for more information:

http://lifeskillsforwomen.org/

Finally, race day arrived! Although I knew the run was for a good cause and no real awards were being given (except to the top 3 finishers...not age group awards) I was very nervous! I think I will always have that feeling when I race! The venue was packed....500 people is a lot for the area we were running in!

Our before picture: 

Me and my cousin and neighbor, Jennifer




We settled ourselves in at the starting line....we didn't line up first, but we didn't line up last either! We heard the words "On your mark, get set, GO!" And we took off! It was very crowded, so I kind of bounced up and down until I was able to really run once the Seabiscuits flew on by! The dust was horrific, and I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to breathe since I as recovering from bronchitis. That's why I stuck my inhaler down in the front of my tank top.  I did have to take a few walk breaks so I could blow my nose.
Jennifer was way up ahead of me, but my other running buddy, Candye, was close to me during the entire run. At the turnaround point, I drank a few sips of water and threw the rest of it down my back because it was a very hot and humid day. The run towards the halfway point wasn't bad, but the run back was sheer torture. The sun was glaring down on me and there was no more shade. The temperature continued to rise! Finally, the finish line was in sight! I was so glad to cross it so I could stop running and get more water. I did not have a PR, but wasn't really concerned because I was just so proud that I could finish the race after not having ran at all the previous week due to being sick. 35:00 wasn't too shabby!  I've decided that summer isn't the time for PR's....all I can hope for is to increase mileage, no matter how slow it is. I'll worry about time when it gets cold.

AFTER!!! Me, Jennifer, and Candye




We survived the heat, humidity, and dust! We also got to see Ryan Bowers, who made a recent appearance on the TV show, The Bachelorette. I high-fived the Chick-Fil-A cow--that was pretty cool!!! After we finished, we drove immediately to the nearest Cracker Barrel for coffee, grits, and the works for breakfast.

Somehow I missed this, but Candye was telling us about a woman with prosthetic legs who was running the 5K, and I felt guilty because I had complained about the heat, and here was this woman running and so glad to be able to do so.....what an inspiration! Jean Law is amazing! Read more about her here:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/health/2012-06-30/run-raises-money-prosthetics-aimee-copeland

Here is also something else to make you know there is hope for young people today--the winner, Justin Weeger, donated his $100 prize money back to the cause! What a young man!!!

Besides getting to run a race, I'm so thankful to be associated with a group like this who came out to support Aimee and her family for no other reason than to give to someone who couldn't give anything back. If you have a chance to participate in a charity run, I encourage you to do it! There is no better feeling!






No comments:

Post a Comment